Projets spéciaux

The Frances McCleod Blue Collection _ Recognizing a Pioneer

The Frances McCloud Blue Collection within the Archival & Special Collections at the University of Guelph Library is funded to the amount of approximately $1000 annually by LACF. This contribution is directed to ongoing support of the collections, including digitization projects and development of a Website to make the collections accessible to all researchers. 

The Collection was originally initiated to recognize the contributions of Frances Blue, FCSLA, who left a bequest of $225,000 to LACF. The collection includes her photographs, drawings and watercolors.  Also included are historical records from other landscape architects and firms that are representative of her era (1920 to 1975).

 In discussion with the University Development Officer and University of Guelph archivist, it was proposed that the name, Frances Blue McLeod Collection be changed to Frances Blue McLeod Fund and be described as follows: 

The purpose of the Frances Blue McLeod Fund is to support the Frances Blue McLeod Collection; purchase landscape architecture resources; digitize drawings and other materials; and process materials of historical relevance to Canadian landscape architecture in general. The Landscape Architecture Canada Foundation (LACF) established this fund in recognition of Francis Blue’s contribution to the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects and her significant bequest to LACF.

The Blue bequest also inspired the creation of an LACF membership category, the Frances Blue Legacy Group, for honoured LACF members who have generously planned to gift the Foundation over $10,000 in their trust or will.In 2014, it was decided that funds to the collection would be more useful if they could be spent supporting a wider range of activities. 

 

About Frances Blue

Frances Blue (1914-1992) was one of Canada’s first female landscape architects. A Torontonian by birth, she was educated at Havergal College in Toronto, le Collège féminine de Bouffemont near Paris, and the Lowthorpe School of Landscape Architecture in Groton, Massachusetts, where she graduated in 1937. During her career, Frances practiced in the United States and in Canada. Frances became a full member of the Canadian Society of Landscape Architects (CSLA) in 1939 and served as Vice-President in 1940. She later served as Secretary and Treasurer during the period between 1941 and 1966. In 1966, she was inducted into the College of Fellows for her extensive and valuable service to the Society.  In subsequent years Frances served as the official recorder of CSLA history.

Considering her profound dedication to landscape architecture, perhaps it was not surprising that even after her death in 1992, our profession greatly benefited from her generosity. Between 1992 and 2003, her estate donated a bequest of $225,000 to the Landscape Architecture Canada Foundation (LACF) and provided a solid foundation for grants in support of research, scholarship and communication.